Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Slowly, Quietly


Slowly, quietly

I want to walk the trails I once walked,

stopping to look and listen;

just being in those places

where I once felt happy and safe.

 

I want to feel the air I once felt.

I want to smell the pines and other trees of the forest.

I want to feel the soft pine needles

and old leaves crunch quietly under my feet.

 

I want to hear the babbling brook,

getting my feet wet in the crossing,

climb the pine needled covered hill

moving deeper into the forest.

 

Slowly, quietly,

I want to remember

what my childhood felt like

in those happiest of places…

in the woods, in the quiet

in the peacefulness of nature.

 

I want to come out of the dark wood

into that little grassy area

where violets and bluets grew

in a small patch of sunlight

 

Slowly, quietly

I want to step back

into the cool gloom again

following the trail

to an open field

 

Then deciding

whether to go farther

wading through the tall grasses

or turn around and head back home.

 

Funny how the return journey,

even along the same paths,

always felt different,

yet, either way,

I felt hugged by the forest.

 

Slowly, quietly,

I want to let

these old feelings resurface,

bring me back

to less complicated times.

 

I want to return

to those happy places,

hoping my memory

hasn’t deceived me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment