Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Firestorm II

Mental firestorm
and I’m inundated with words,
thoughts and feelings
Like some unknown entity
turns on a faucet
and words pour out
 
And before I get half written
another topic comes gushing
then another
An uncontrollable, untamable

mental firestorm
ripping through my brain
 
It’s like being in a rodeo
getting thrown
from one bucking bronco
and grabbing another
only to get tossed
from that one, too
 
It’s exciting
but hard to focus
as my mind jumps
from one topic to another
before I finish thoughts
about the previous
 
Words stampede
through my brain
like herd of wild horses
being chased across a prairie
by a pack of word wolves
 
It’s like trying to grasp hold
of the brass ring
on a carousel ride
but the momentum
carries me past too quickly
 
I may catch a tiny piece
before I’m whipped away
by another thought or idea
but I can’t finish
one line of thought
before I’m jumping
to the next horse
 
(I often compare myself
to a fat bumblebee
flitting from one blossom to the next,
but in these instances
there is no simple goal
as with bees
 
In these cases
it is those stampeding horses
and I’m trying desperately
to hang on
milk the ride for every word
define every feeling
before I’m tossed to the ground
to grab the next horse
running by
before it all dries up.

No comments:

Post a Comment