Friday, March 29, 2019

Lightning Strike


Writing the morning pages was put on hold as I typed up the poem I’d written after meditating last night. “Lightning Strike.” I’m always amazed at how the words come through me and up out of me. It IS just like a lightning strike! There’s a kind of coming down or into me and also a coming up and out of me – just like lightning when the electrical charges in the earth rise up to meet the lightning strike coming down.

Lightning Strike

The air shimmers,
tension builds
It boils … It simmers …
SNAP!

It flashes down
before I can blink and
arcs through me
striking the ground
in a glorious array
of unseen color

I can’t breathe

Reverberations echo
through my body
trapping me
in mind-numbing shock

Glued to this spot
I can’t move
my body tingles wildly
in the exploding power
vibrating in silence
around me

I can’t breathe

In this microsecond
of time
I’m too paralyzed
to even think, and

as I struggle to comprehend
what just happened,
the earth erupts
with a soundless deafening roar
blasting through me
once again

I breathe in

I can do nothing
but wait for release
as the residual energy
rains down on me

wrapping its charged essence
over me as if draping me
in a new warm cloak
then dissipating
into the dust
at my feet

I breathe out

With the charred smell
lingering in the air
and fingers still tingling,
I slowly pick up my pen

A poem falls onto the page.

And so, my morning took a detour, as it does so often. It never ceases to amaze me that my first thoughts of what the day will bring seldom stays true to the original plans. At the end of the day, though, I am satisfied with what I accomplished, and I don’t regret what I didn’t get done. I guess my days are not about staying on a straight, paved sidewalk, but they meander wooded trails over rocky and bumpy terrain. It makes life interesting, that’s for sure!



I love that I don’t have an adrenaline-pumping need. I love that I find excitement in the seemingly simple things. I love that I see beauty everywhere.

“Interesting” is my favorite word and “journey” is another. Life is an interesting journey if we allow ourselves to see it as such. Even a simple life isn’t really so simple when you’re living it, and what we allow ourselves to experience and acknowledge open our eyes to the beauty of life. And practicing living wholeheartedly makes life special and soul-rewarding.



No comments:

Post a Comment