Thursday, July 23, 2020

Words on a Page





Words on a page –

a response
to my statements
Opinions –
insinuating I’m wrong
Disbelief –
that I could
have such a different
point of view from them


Heaven forbid
I see beyond the surface
Heaven forbid
I speak to what I see
and believe
is really happening

Like always,
the old feelings
of displeasing someone
fill me

I try not to be angry,
try not to let the hurtful words
bring me down
nor think poorly of those
whom I consider friends

I pull back
vow to myself
not to speak freely again

But wait!
I refuse to put up
with negative responses
I would not
speak thusly to them
I hold fast my words,
stand strong in my convictions
I don’t require agreement
only respect
I have the right
to my own beliefs!

Last I knew
the First Amendment
has not been revoked –
yet –
Is it becoming
freedom of speech
is only for certain people?

My choices are
not for argument,
not to name call,
not for debate.

And, if at some point,
I am proven wrong,
I will be the first
to admit it.




No comments:

Post a Comment