Sunday, October 4, 2020

White Water and Creative Banks


Paddling the middle of a raging river

its white water threatens to swamp my boat

as I strong-arm my way

through life’s journey

 

On either side

the banks of creativity

full of beautiful scenery

await the pen or pastel

 

Bushes of words on one side

grasses of paint strokes on the other

cajole me, encourage me,

beg me to stop

 

Sometimes

the choice is easy

as to which side

I’ll pull my boat

 

Sometimes

the pull from both sides

is demanding

Do I paint or write?

 

And sometimes

the river is so strong

with life’s issues

I can’t pull out of the current

 

Long arms of creativity

shadowy reflections across the water

reach with ghostlike fingers

to pull me from my boat

 

The call to create

is overpowering

If I don’t heed its plea

I will be devoured by the river

 

I’m torn to which side

to rest my boat on

but know, too, whichever choice

will be the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment